Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I Can See It! Why a Classically Trained Musician Loves to Farm



I spent my Memorial Day weekend hard at work on the farm here in Owego. As I mowed, raked, shoveled dirt (and other...un-mentionable things), planted, mulched, repaired machinery, and generally battered my body, I began thinking:  why do I love physical labor so much?

Battered Hand


Those who know me well know that there is little that I love more than hard work; whether it be building and striking sets, tearing down a friend's back porch, or farm-work. In fact, by the end of the school year I crave physical labor. Why?


Visible Progress.



I am deeply involved in a career that offers little immediate satisfaction:  you can always practice more and you can always (and should) change and improve your teaching. It is the reality of an academic world, and I would have it no other way; I would be completely bored if it was. However, in the work I do over the summer, there is an end. When I fix the tractor it's fixed (until it breaks again)! Done. 

My lawn:  done.
The finality of physical work is a restful contrast from the always improving world of music and education. It's refreshing and leaves me ready to take on the world of music and education and keep practicing and improving. My grandmother says it best: "A change is as good as a rest."

Farming is a change from constant brainwork, a change from sitting all day (desk, piano bench), a change from being inside, and a change from limitless development.

So, yes I own a piano and a chainsaw. And I love to sing opera and bale hay. (Sometimes at the same time).

It's important to find something that recharges you. You can cut down a tree with a dull saw and burn yourself out in the process, or you can stop, "sharpen the saw" and cut down the tree swiftly and efficiently.

Do a craft, take a facebook break, or mow the lawn and enjoy the recharging benefits of doing something with visible progress. Happy saw-sharpening!

Scamp likes farm-work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment